Friday, February 8, 2008

JuMp Walrus JuMp!

Right now I am listening to a crazy mix of House of Pain's Jump Around. It is insane.

Two versions of this song in a row are a bit much though. But I digress....

First things first; this all started with the Blue Walrus and a glass of Shandy. I don't remember how I found this website called the Blue Walrus, but it is a music blog and it contains a few albums of good, solid electronic music. I know it's not for everybody, but some of you will like it. There are even a few pop/rock (?) albums called Snazzy as Fuck which may be more to your liking. Each is downloadable via a zip file. I've just downloaded Clap to the Electricity Vol. 7.

This discovery of the music blog got me to reinvestigate the Hype Machine (thanx Doom) and music online. I feel like I've made some sort of internet breakthrough--there is all this stuff out there, music that I didn't really know existed. It is like an internet rebirth. It's a similar feeling to that when I first saw graphics on the web instead of just text! Through my surfing I came across a podcast by a band I discovered on The Blue Walrus called The Young Punx. So far this has been a good listen. The Young Punx are a live dance music group and the podcast is a good mix of their stuff, stuff they've remixed and stuff they like. Which for the most part I like.

For those of you who are on more of a hip-hop bend I just found a podcast out of Britain called Ejectorseat that is quite good. Phat beats, british accents and (sadly?) no Fiddy.

Other podcasts that are in my regular listening line-up are Ninja Tunes' Solid Steel, Cookiehead Jenkins' show Solid State Deluxe out of Hawaii and The Sound Culture All of which offer a good mix of genres and always provide a good groove that will suit any day's soundtrack. Podcasts are brilliant. Free music delivered to iTunes (or whatever you use) every week (or so). Being the Scottish descended spendthrift that I am, this suits me just fine. And as a wise drunken Swedish traveller once told me "Cheep iz goud, Free is tha BEST!"

If you need some help finding podcasts outside the iTunes directory I found this the other day: TruMix.com. I've only browsed a little bit, that's where I found the Ejector Seat one. Let me know if it's any good.

Till next time.

No comments: